The department of civil registration operates under the Births and Deaths Registration Act, which is Chapter 149 of the laws of Kenya. This chapter was enacted on 9 th June 1928, to provide for the notification and registration of births and deaths and other matters incidental thereon.
It is within this mandate to:
- Register births and deaths events immediately they occur.
- Register births and deaths events after the legally stipulated period(late registration)
- Register births and deaths events of Kenyans abroad(foreign registration)
- Re-registration of a birth of a child upon legitimacy or recognition.
- Issuance of certificates of records held by the registrar (birth certificate and death certificates)
- Preservation and management of records.
- Compilation and presentation of births and deaths vital statistics.